Sunday, March 19, 2006

Dan in the army?

I've been thinking about joining up recently. I can see a lot of pluses and minuses to it. I need to think deep about this issue for a lot of reasons. The biggest one is I might be losing track of whats important. I have been in college for a long time and it become boring and annoying. The second is it would be four years of my life dedicated to this orginization. The third is I'd miss my friends and family a lot.
I was thinking something in the lines of Army Journalist or Army photographer, but leaning towards photographer. I would be doing reserve, not full-time.
I have compiled a list of reasons for and a list of reasons against signing up in no particular order. Anybody who knows me should get a hold of me and give me their input.
For:
1- Resume builder. My resume is pretty weak and being in the army would definitely increase my hirability factor.
2- Health. I'd get in shape and probably quit smoking.
3- See cool shit. I have been in Lincoln for so long and I keep seeing the same shit over and over.
4- I love to travel. The army would send me to a lot of different places.
5- Tradition. (This is a lame Dan thing, but important to me. It sucks being a romantic.) I would be part of one of the longest standing ocupations in the world.

Against:
1- Boot Camp. I could do it, but it would really suck.
2- As a journalist or photographer I'd probably just be writing/photographing annoying "official" army stuff.
3- I'd smoke more.
4- In the end I'd be in Lincoln anyway.
5- Losing my personaliy. To be fair, if my personality couldn't stand up to the rigors of the military it probably wasn't much of a personality to begin with.

This is a partial list, and this whole situation might be an identity crisis, but if my friends would come speak to me about this I'd appreciate it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home