Saturday, December 08, 2007

Maybe I'm too cynical...

I'm watching the news, this almost non-stop coverage of the West Roads shooting. It's amazing to me to watch people cope with death. There's a very dark kind of comedy here. The Critical Theorists might call it "comic irony."

The scene is simple.

The front of Von Maur. Flowers, letters, stuffed animals on the stairs in front of the store. Five or six people standing outside, staring at the store. The news flashing brief biographies of the dead. Telling me, a random and disconnected stranger where I can go for the funereal. The funereal will consist of people walking by a dead body and staring at it.
I'm not exempt from these rules. I'm subject to the same probabilities as you. A meteor could kill me as easily as you. If it can happen once it can happen again.

Why?

Well, the answer is easy. You never had as much control over your life as you think. Maybe to look reality in the face: no matter where you go, you can die.
I can't blame these people. I won't laugh at their meaningless actions. I do it too. I laughed at his HIM hoodie. I mocked the people who were shocked they could die randomly. This is how I deal. Make it dark comedy before it's true tragedy.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home