Sunday, December 09, 2007

Preparation for Departure...

So here I am on the verge of graduation. At this late hour I can't help but reflect. That's what I do.

On Wednesday at 9:30 I will be an unofficial college graduate. The next three days will be a sado-masochistic paradise. Coffee, cigarettes and cynicism will abound.

So much for those vague delusions from when I showed up. Hooray for the vaguer, grander delusions I've picked up along the way. By this point in my life I doubt I'll be James Joyce. Fortunately my romantic self-indulgence will keep me in self-hatred. Maybe this is part of growing up. Making logic replace delusions.

I can't help but turn my attention back to Brian, that eternal symbol of how not to live. I wonder what he's done since then. There's no way to find out, of course. Even if there was I wouldn't pursue the lead. He died in the Husker Courtyards. I can't forget watching him go from semi-intellectual slacker to a gelatinous pile. Listening to those SOCOM gunshots until five in the morning while trying to study. My mother suggested a mental disorder, I don't know if I can share her empathy this time. I think he chose, with a completely clear conscience, to sacrifice himself to his ego.

This is the one person I actively choose not to be like.

Well, let this madness commence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home