Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I caught myself in the mirror

For the first time in four days I felt coherent enough to shower. In the blizzard of term papers and revisions my more basic requirements fell to the wayside. In the all-nighter-crunch-time madness I had neglected bathing, changing clothes, shaving and the capital sin (to those of us who had braces) brushing my teeth.

Yet through it all I had a sort of dignity. A pride in the sacrifice this college career demands. This is not the first time I've made this transaction with myself. I thought about the past few days. I am reminded of something from the Bible.

Between the Last Supper and the Resurrection, tradition tells us, three days passed. These three days were hell for everyone involved. I imagine the Apostles felt much like I feel right now when it was all over and they could rest without fear.

So now I have some focus. Not much, but enough. In a short span of time I will hold my degree in my hand. It seems so pitiful. A piece of paper representing what school is. I feel almost ripped off. But I did it. And I have at least one thing to show for my life and it can't be taken away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home