Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Democracy, Permits, and Dan

"Think about it. You're going to create an institution dedicated to representing the needs, wants, and hopes of two-hundred and sixty-million people."
-Sean Flowerday

This quote hits the nail on the head for me after a recent experiance.

At one-thirty today I went into an office in a middle school unqualified to work with food and walked out forty-five minutes later legally allowed to disribute food to the citizens of Lincoln.

The concept of a food handler's permit is completely asanine. I'm going to throw that out there right now. I am no more knowledgable about keeping food safe now than when I took the class in the first place, the only difference is now I'm ten dollars poorer.

Food handling is not rocket science, it's food handling. All you need to know is 'don't put your mouth on anything and blow' and you're good to go.

Now the government feels I am a safe risk for working with food because I have a piece of paper.

While I sat through this class I thought about the only motiation for being here: legal retaliation. I don't care, I know how to handle food. However if anyone got sick from our food I would've made a great target for a lawsuit.

As a whole, this permit means less than the paper it's printed on. (Have I gotten that point across yet?)

The class made me think about how many government operations have the same twisted logic. The whole "if you took a class you must know what you're doing" reasoning. Obviously for different positions (ie firefighter, police officer) the requirments are more strick, but what offices require less qualification (DMV Clerk, State Senator, Federal Judge).

After all they were elected by the (uncaring) people, they must be capable of doing a good job. Just because candidate X can spend more money or hit local demographics better is he going to do any better of a job than the guy who just got a food handler's permit?

I'll end on a quote because George Burns said it better than I ever could:

"Too bad the only people who know how to run a country are driving cabs and cutting hair."

4 Comments:

Blogger Joshua Beran said...

Danial, I gave you my number, remember, I have no idea how to call you.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Joshua Beran said...

Danial, I gave you my number, remember? I have no idea how to call you.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Joshua Beran said...

402-540-8166

sorry

12:37 PM  
Blogger Joshua Beran said...

I have a first draft done. call me when you get a chance

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home