Thursday, January 26, 2006

Brotherhood is Forever

This year got off to a bitter-sweet start for me.

Just five minutes ago I said good-bye to a great friend of mine, three weeks ago, I said good-bye to another.

The times are definetly changing, and the friendships that once seemed like they would always be there seem to be splitting apart as we all go our seperate ways.

But does it really split up?

I don't think so. Although these two friends are missed, the friendship is still there. These two men are my brothers. We have been through so much together.

The friend I just said good-bye to is one of my oldest and dearest friends. I remember making videos with him for school projects. Macbeth, Farenheit 451, Gone With The Wind 2. We didn't always agree, but these fights made our friendship stronger, these fights proved we'd be friends forever.These videos are important to my past and to who I am. The cooperation needed to create these required massive amounts of effort on both parts. Without this friend, I would be a much different person. I remember visiting him in the hospital when he injured his knee. I remember hanging with him when he was kicked out of football.

I honestly think that without him, I would have abused drugs and not be in college. He was always, and still is, a positive influence in my life. It is because of this, I am proud to call him brother.

The other friend joined the military. He is working towards a life long dream, and closer to accomplishing his passion than anyone I know. He was given the gift of knowing what he loved at an early age. Although it pains me to see him go, I am happy that he is so close to his dream.

I can't forget the long nights of drinking and bullshitting. Beercakes and the legendary walk in Greenwood. These are also ties that bind and some of my favorite mnemories in life.

I wish I could see them both more, but they are happy with what they're doing. I wish them luck. I don't know much in this life, but I do know that distances may strain our brotherhood, but it cannot and will not break them. If I go five, ten, fifteen or even twenty years without seeing either one, I know that when we meet again, we will still be bound by mutual respect. We will still be friends. We will still be brothers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Winebag said...

well, i sense some jealousy. i really can't think of the best way to put it. i guess you are being a bit of a bitch. so shut up. i am just cooler then you. as for you daniel, this is some good shit. brotherhood is forever. i will be coming home soon.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Jenib said...

Why is it that guys get that brotherhood thing...women have "that bitch that f*d my boyfriend back in twelfth grade...she was like a sister to me"? Bleh. I have better guy friends than I ever did girlfriends.

I lost a few of them recently. They died. We are all in our early thirties. Both died from wierd, freak medical issues. Your post made me think about them and wish I could just pick up the phone and talk to either one of them one more time.

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home